Monday, July 14, 2008

Manhattan Bastille Day Festival





So, the Bastille Day Festival in Manhattan yesterday, July 13th, was both very cutesy French chic and kind of a run-of-the-mill street fair at the same time. The "block party" spanned 60th Street from Lexington St. to Fifth Ave. and featured a disparate mix of French-language booths, from cuisine to spa products to informational cultural booths. However, intertwined with these booths were also the generic, omnipresent street fair vendors with their freshly-made juice smoothies and such.

Of the many crepe booths at the festival, several were the kinds you see at any street fair, and one had to question the authenticity and quality of these more street-oriented vendors. I arrived at the fair with my friend at around 3:00 pm, exactly mid-way through the festival, and it was in full-swing. Navigating our way through the crowds and the heat, we eventually decided to purchase food: I had my eye set on a crepe while she had hers set on a Belgian waffle. After arming ourselves with orange-flavored French Volvic water, we scouted for the best options, bypassing several of the more "authentic"-looking crepe vendors because of the long lines and high prices (a savory crepe here was priced at $9). I settled on, yes, you guessed it, a street-oriented "creperie," where I purchased a $6 mushroom-and-cheese crepe after being informed that they were out of spinach. Already setting myself up for disappointment after not having my first option available, having to wait to order as the chef chose exactly that moment to begin preparations for the following five crepes, and seeing the very scantily filled crepe, I somewhat skeptically began nibbling on my freshly-made crepe as I waited for my friend to purchase her own meal. Ok, I decided, swiss and mushroom was a winning flavor combination, if not as nutritious or complete of a meal as I had fantasized about for my crepe.

I held off on eating my food as my friend, waffle purchase in hand, and I went in search for some warm, savory food for her. She eagerly headed towards Le Souk, a restaurant and club featuring Northern African cuisine. Very shortly afterwards, with purchase in hand -- a heaping plate of rice, vegetables, chicken and spices -- we went to sit with other festival-goers on a sidewalk curb to enjoy our meals. Her meal, the same cost as mine, presented the opposite predicament for her: it was entirely too much food. So our problems were both easily solved as she scooped some of her food onto my plate and we settled into our meals. Having been to Le Souk several times for dancing and drinks (and even once sharing a group's hookah with them), but never for a meal, I have always been impressed by it as a very posh, chi-chi sort of place that even occasionally features live drummers and/or belly dancers as part of the evening's entertainment. Now, having tried a very well-priced sample of their cuisine, I am even more enthusiastic about this place. Visit it sometime, for a meal, a drink, a night of dancing, or just to pop your head in. Le Souk is located on Ave. B between 3rd and 4th Streets: www.lesoukny.com. Now, stuffed but refreshed by the food and the water, we continued our browsing.

My friend and I probably stayed here no longer than an hour. The highlights of the festival, besides my friend's delicious food, included such sights as the delectable French pastries, the accordion player, a booth devoted to the French Metro system, and the general sense of cheer and cultural pride. I succumbed slightly to the dessert offerings, though I was continuously tempted to buy other fancy pastries. My purchase was two chocolate bouchons, a steal at only $1 each, which were as delicious as they were enticing (see above picture). There was also also a stage with performances, though we missed seeing anything, as well as a $5 wine and cheese tasting at the French Institute (originally advertised on the website as $12 for non-members and $10 for members). All in all, I think this Bastille Day "block party" was worth it as an experience, and at its best had hints of something truly special.

No comments: