Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Williamsburg Cafés/Bars!

I have to say, even though sometimes I wish I lived in the city for the convenience of it, there are certain things that re-affirm for me the desirability of living in Brooklyn. And honestly, I think Brooklyn is the NYC borough most suited to me...

Besides it being generally more affordable (yes, even Williamsburg, still!), it is quite lovely to live in a neighborhood with independent cafes (many of which also double up as bars in the evening), without even a Starbuck's to be found (knock on wood...). Also, it is quite a perk that they all offer free wi-fi, without having to sign up or pay for T-Mobil or any other internet subscription/fee.

So here I am now at South 4th Bar and Café (located at S. 4th and Berry St.), and I am a little embarrassed and frankly disappointed that I have never been here before! While I enjoy Atlas Café (located at Grand St. and Havermeyer), it tends to pack a full house of hipsters at their laptops: great for people-watching, but not always for working in the most comfortable or focused environement. South 4th Bar and Café is refreshingly spacious, with only a handful of people here; and it promises to be a fun evening spot, with its full bar and bookshelf of games. So now, here I am procrastinating my teaching work to rave about it!

But while I am on the subject, I also enjoy Phoebe's Cafe, a very cute, cozy café by the Graham Ave. L stop (at 323 Graham Ave, between Ainslie and Devoe Streets). It is yet another free venue offering free wi-fi and affordable bites! Now, on to my work, to utilize this free wi-fi ...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like Potion cafe on McKibbin because it's the closest to my apartment. Full of hipsters, but it feels like you're sitting in your friend's basement. Good spiced coffee and brioche. Oh yeah, and free wifi :)