Friday, March 20, 2009

Sleep Deprivation Across The Nation and Poster Boy

"Sleep Deprivation Across The Nation" -- I overheard it in the elevator, and this might just become a new favorite quote.

Perhaps I can ascribe my restlessness to seasonal flux, or to my imminent two-month sojourn to Peru, or perhaps to my juggling of low-paying teaching gigs... or most aptly to all of the above, and more.

Anyway, how apropos that in my restless meanderings my friend forwarded me info about a Poster Boy exhibit tomorrow.

The exhibit is in Williamsburg, at 17 Frost Gallery, on Frost Street between Union and Lorimer Streets. Poster Boy will be showing in a group exhibit with the Neo-Con New York Collective. It opens tomorrow, March 21, from 7-9 pm. More on Poster Boy below.



NY Magazine has an article, "How Poster Boy Turns Subway Ads Into Political Art", which explores Poster Boy's anti-mass-media message. The New York Times, meanwhile, published an article last month, "Poster Boy Is Caught, or Is It a Stand-In?", which discusses Poster Boy's assessment of the law: "there is a difference between what is [legally] right and what is just." This remix culture, which challenges traditional copyright issues, is a growing trend that has been embraced by such artists as Girl Talk and continues to push the boundaries of what is considered legally acceptable.

I plan on being there!

No comments: